All the links below are external internet site and will open in a new window.
Community Development Model for Digital Community Archives
Community Development Model for Digital Community Archives is a model for community engagement that fosters robust partnerships among academic libraries and regional organizations, which will result in greater digital access to currently isolated collections and networks. Small regional institutions and organizations possess rich cultural heritage collections but often lack robust digital infrastructures. This project addresses these library and community needs through collaborative digital repatriation and collection development. The team will develop and pilot a participatory library development model. The work will expand digital access to previously isolated or rural collections while ensuring that the collections continue to reside with their owners.
This project was made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services LG-15-19-0137-19.
The views, findings, conclusions, and recommendations expressed in this program do not necessarily represent those of the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
The primary deliverables for this project are:
- A project plan for a Southwestern Virginia community archive
- A replicable model for developing regional non-custodial digital archives
This model will identify the sociotechnical resources libraries need to leverage in order to support smaller institutions in community archiving efforts, and to aggregate content with them.
Community Outreach Team
- Anita Puckett, Associate Professor, Religion and Culture, Virginia Tech
- Jessica Taylor, Assistant Professor, History, Virginia Tech
- Dale Winling, Associate Professor, History, Virginia Tech
- Anthony Wright de Hernandez, Community Collections Archivist, Virginia Tech University Libraries
Implementation Planning Team
- Nathan Hall, Director of Digital Imaging and Preservation, Virginia Tech University Libraries (Project Director)
- Alex Kinnaman, Digital Preservation Coordinator, Virginia Tech University Libraries
- Luke Menzies, Digital Preservation Technologist, Virginia Tech University Libraries
- Wen Nie Ng, Digital Collections Librarian, Virginia Tech University Libraries
- Steve Tatum, Digital Collections Curator, Virginia Tech University Libraries
- James Tuttle, Associate Director for Digital Libraries, Virginia Tech University Libraries
- Laurie Allen, Program Analyst, Library of Congress Labs
- Siko Bouterse, Co-Director, Whose Knowledge?
- Bradley Daigle, Director of Digital Curation Services, University of Virginia Libraries, and Director, Digital Virginias Service Hub, Digital Public Library of America
- Carol Davis, Head of Sustainability, Town of Blacksburg, VA
- Morgan Gieringer, Head of University of North Texas Special Collections
- Sheila McAlister, Director, Digital Library of Georgia
- Mark Phillips, Associate Dean for Digital Libraries, University of North Texas, Portal to Texas History
- Karen Roberto, Director of the Institute for Society, Culture, and the Environment, Virginia Tech
- Emily Satterwhite, Associate Professor and Director of Appalachian Studies, Virginia Tech